Friday, May 25, 2012

Do Overs: Upcycling Old Projects

Just finished reading a fun post from Crafty Hope on digging up some of those old projects. Got me thinking. 

Its been about 5 years now since I took a wire wrap class on a whim. I had never done anything other then simple bead strings. But my sister-in-law was visiting (along with my Brother) for Christmas and I decided it would be fun to take a class while she was here. She is a classically trained artist who specializes in encaustic painting, an ancient Egyptian technique, and so I knew I had to up the game a bit and pick a class that might challenge her.

Funny thing is, that class jump-started my beading after many, many years. I used to bead when I was a kid. Could not get enough of it, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I was any good. Just your simple bead strings. I lost interest when I hit my teen years and tucked the box of beads away in the attic. I did keep a few of the necklaces, and gave them to my girls without much of a thought. Only one survived all the dress up outfits and tea parties. A tad worse for wear, but I managed to save the beads. I keep it in a bead tube as the last artifact of my early work. This one I think I'll leave just as it is.

There is something soothing to me to just sit and string beads. I have a lot of people ask me why I make jewelry, and so much of it. I always answer "because I don't knit."

8 comments:

  1. I so agree with your answer of "because I don't knit"! I find beading very relaxing too! I've gone back and looked at my old projects and some I've re-worked but most just remain the same. It's fun to see how much I didn't know back then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great answer!
    I have only taken up knitting recently, but I find it oh so relaxing. I also still have a beaded necklace I made in my teens. I still think it's pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story! I finding putting beads on a string to be relaxing, almost therapeutic. I have tried knitting and crocheting but since it requires paying attention, I realized it was not for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Love that Val! and so true ... much more concentration required

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your creations are beautiful and it's great to know that those creations are made when you're in a relaxing state of mind :)

    xo

    Ashley

    Southern (California) Belle

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWW thank you for sweet words on my blog:) I like yours to.

    Come back and visit me soon..I have more swedish inspiration for you:)

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic response!!!
    I love your blog!!!! I follow you with Bloglovin and G+ now!!!
    Thank you so much for your friendship!!!
    Have a good week!!
    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete

AntiquityTravelers on Etsy