Friday, August 17, 2012

Freedom Fridays: Tutorial Double Wire Wrap Examples

Yesterday I posted a tutorial for how to do a double wire wrap loop. I hope that it was helpful to those who find a double wrap challenging. It really isn't that much different from a single wrap as long as you kept track of your wire. I had an excellent instructor that showed me the simplicity of wire wrap, and being methodical about how you hold your wire. The few tips can really help and can make all the difference in the world if you are trying to achieve a tight wrapping technique.


As a little bit of inspiration, I thought I'd post a few variations of this style. Same double wrap technique, same stone (African Opal - isn't it a gorgeous stone?), just slightly different styles. The first pair of earrings uses a 'long wrap,' or one that comes down all the way over the wire threading through the top drill hole in the stone. Personally, this is my favorite and most used technique. I also added a top bead -- a Swarovski pearl (a tough bead that can stand up to my wrapping!). I included a wrap around the bead to bring the wire back up to the top where I started to create a final loop. 

The second pair is an even shorter wrap than the one I demonstrated in the tutorial. This one shows off the wire triangle that frames the top of the bead. The style accentuates the long drop wire wrapping from bead to earwire. I also included a marcasite bead connector to give the pattern a little extra character. I love marcasite and use it pretty much every chance I get.

17 comments:

  1. These are beautiful and I appreciate the tutes ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous as always! The first pair is my favorite! You should definitely just make jewelry all day long!


    XoXo
    Plami

    http://www.fashionthrill.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi:
    Lovely and decorative way of attaching the bead to the earwire,or the rope ,as for the pendant.I've seen even the crystal drops wrapped this way.In case of African Opal both variations are incredibly nice.
    Warm Greetings-Halinka-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!!! I love the changes to the blog!
    Have a wonderful weekend, dear friend!

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for coming by my site. Such lovely jewelry, and it looks relatively easy to do. I do have equipment, some findings and beads but no stones, but haven't made anything in some time. This just may be an inspiration.

    Yael from Home Garden Diggers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I haven't tried this technique yet but I think I will! Wire wrapping intimidates me but I love the look of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cynthia,
    Beautiful wrapping on gorgeous African Opal. Thank you for sharing the tutorial.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE these earrings; truly, madly, and deeply!

    Pssst, I put a link to your blog on my Fabulous Friday post, hope you don't mind. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jacqueline told me about your site and I am glad I came over. I don't make original jewelry. I repurpose junk jewelry to give it a new life or a way for me not to chuck it all the way. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  10. These stones are beautiful. I will show your post to my daughter..the rock girl. She rocks..and loves stones. These are great. I just became a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous tutorial and wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never seen an African Opal before, guess I don't get out much, but I really do love them and they look beautiful as earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous earrings! Your stones are very unique! This would make for a perfect fall collection.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The first one definitely is my fav! I have to try this out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow this African Opal stone is so beautiful! I love the second pair:)
    xx chris

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful wire wrapping! I love these with an added bead too. African opal is stunning. The variety of color and really cool markings are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete

AntiquityTravelers on Etsy