Saturday, June 1, 2013

Anklet Hop

Kashmira is hosting a hop today featuring anklet designs. She gave us a few tips prior to us getting to work on our pieces. She tells us that we really need to first think about the construction of the ankle itself. It is cylindrical, and therefore the pattern really needs to flow well. And don't use anything too large which will prevent it from draping well.

The other thing about the ankle is that it is bony and anything sharp can cut into the skin and make for a seriously uncomfortable situation. So avoid bicone crystals or anything else that can feel sharp.

As we all know, we tend to show off our ankles when it gets warm, but hot weather can also cause swelling, especially if you're walking a lot. So make sure you've left enough room to your pattern; definitely it should not be tight. All great advice! 

I decided on a beaded anklet with turquoise (I love this color in the summer especially with whites). I also could just not help myself ... I've always wanted to add a little chime to an anklet, so I did add small bells. It took quite a hunt around Manhattan to find a place that carried these! The second the bells were added, my daughter was asking if she could try it on. My model for these pictures would be my daughter, and the anklet has found it's new home as I haven't been able to get this one off her since.  

Check out all the other bloggers and their anklet designs
Kashmira Patel              Kaushambi Shah  
Jean Wells                    Mischelle Fanucchi
Shellie Grindie               Ginger Bishop
Monique U                    Cynthia Machata
Susan                           Kay Thomerson
Mimi Gardner                Anindita Basu
Rita (Toltec Jewels)        Gina Hockett
Tammie Everly               Dyanne Cantrell
Ema Kilroy                     Emma Todd
K Morgan                      Sharyl McMillian-Nelson
Cheri Reed                    Rochelle Brisson
Michelle Buettner           Sandra McGriff
Stephanie Weiss             Shelley Graham Turner
Lynda Carson                Roxanne Mendoza
Dagi

41 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! If Kate had not already claimed it, I would have bought this off you! Seriously unique and FUN!

    Thanks SO much for participating :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out wonderfully! Love the design and choice of beads, as well as your bells. Seeing those beads on a slant gives it an ancient Egyptian feel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous work :) You'll have to make more.. one for yourself and one for Kashmira to claim as her own, at the very least ;) lol

    I can see anklets being very popular this summer, especially just by seeing the different designs done for this hop so far! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, this is exquisite. What an amazing piece. I would totally wear this. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous! How fun to wear, and the design is perfect. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the combination of cubes and bells. I bought bells for this hop. Wonder where they went? Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. The choice of beads is fantastic, both in color and shape. And I love the bells. I like the thought of the little ringing as you walk. May have to try one with little bells like that. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha your daughter got lucky this time! I love the turquoise color and the little bells!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with everything you said about turquoise. I love it too! Your bracelet is adorable and I love the little cubes and bells. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love reading your thoughts about designing this anklet. It's a gorgeous look and don't blame your daughter for not wanting to take it off!

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those turquoise beads! And the bells add such a fun flair :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this Cynthia! The color is beautiful and those bells - super!! You and Kashmira make me want to go add bells to my 'peace-out' one! LOL!! So, I may just do that,...or create one that has bells so I jingle when I walk - how happy is that sound?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your marvelous, musical creation, Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very kool - I remember when I used to wear anklets all the time, love your design - just fabulous for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is beautiful!! I also love all the considerations with the anklet too. My ankles definitely swell in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cynthia, that anklet is just darling. I don't blame your daughter for hanging on to it for ever. That turquoise color with the tiny gold beads came out just beautiful. As many commented, you do have a great demand in the market for it...got to make more...I agree:) Dita.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this anklet, everything about it and I can see why your daughter does not take it off.
    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful Cynthia. I have been inspired by this blog hop to make an anklet with bells. I think that would so much fun. Your piece is gorgeous and I can see why your daughter snagged it, I would have too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooooo those little bells! You'd never get it off my ankle either!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your design. It's beautiful and original. Have a nice weekend. Ana

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it!!! The color, the beads, the style & even the little bells. So beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would sooo wear that!! I love the added touch of the bells!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is my fav of the hop so far... I, too, love turquoise for the summer. and this is a MUST HAVE.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your beaded anklet is very pretty. I love the turquoise beads that you used.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is absolutely beautiful! I love wearing turquoise in the summer as well, and the addition of the little bells really makes this special!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I adored your anklet, especially the turquoise and the bells! Awesome job!
    Gina H

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would so so wear this, love it too pieces. Turquoise is my favorite and the little bells are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very cool anklet! I love the colors and the design. I'm sure your daughter will enjoy it all summer :)
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  29. So pretty! Love the color and the design :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful! You're really good at that laid-back, boho chic look :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very pretty and fun! I can see why your daughter loves it so much ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your anklet is so pretty (turquoise *and* bells)! I just splurged on a strand of turquoise yesterday so, it's definitely a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love it! Turquoise and bells! It must sound to sweet when walking. It is no wonder your daughter will not take it off!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the color and bead selection! -And bells! what fun to wear ;)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the bells you found! Granted a cleaner look than the ones i have (scavenged from some trim bought in Trinidad and worn as a choker in my youth. The pattern and texture of the turquioise is just lovely too

    ReplyDelete
  37. So pretty for summer! Turquoise beadwork and copper bells are sweet -- I don't blame your daughter for keeping it on after modeling for you, lol! Hope you ... or well, rather, hope she... enjoys wearing the pretty anklet this summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. So totally my colors and I love the little bells! Sorry for being so late hopping all the blogs and the beautiful entries.

    ReplyDelete

AntiquityTravelers on Etsy