Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Publishing :: Bead Chat Magazine

It is exciting to see something that you created and put a lot of effort into, get published. I feel that way whether it is in a printed magazine, or in the pages of the eMagazine I work on called Bead Chat Magazine.

This month we did a tribute to Bead Trends Magazine. I think a lot of us were quite sad to see the end of it's publication. The magazine was always beautifully done. And I think a lot of felt it was more accessible to the broader bead community than some publications. That is one thing that the team at Bead Chat Magazine has tried to do; to make a publication that is accessible, and one that celebrates all the wonderful artists in our midst. 

I was one of the many people who submitted to Bead Trends, had one of my pieces selected only to find out weeks later that it would not be published. And that they were ceasing the magazine. What! Really? It sent ripples through the bead community. Our team decided to asked Tatia Meyer, the publisher, if she'd be willing to do a tribute issue with us. You'll see a letter that she wrote (Pgs 9-10) to thank all those who contributed through the years. 

I was so bummed when I heard my piece wasn't going to be published, as this was a piece that I had been dying to share with people. I made it early last Spring, shipped it off to Bead Trends, and then found out it was back logged as one of the many that needed to be returned. 

I was excited about our Bead Trends Tribute, because I was going to be able to show you all my necklace, along with pieces from several other artists. Mine uses an irregular netting pattern. The beads are from my Turkish friend who brought them back from a visit. Their odd shapes contribute to the old world feel of the piece. I added wing oyster shells (I brought back from a trip to New Zealand) as the fringe. I wanted to give some substance to the edging, but also have a little sound from the movement of the piece. The shells were just the thing. It sits up on the collar bone and looks fantastic with a scoop neck top. Be sure to check out all the other unpublished pieces, plus an interview with Jess Italia Lincoln from Vintaj, and Erin Siegel who talks about her thoughts on being published. It's another packed issue!

17 comments:

  1. Another great issue! Your team always amazes me with these beautiful magazines!
    Beautiful necklace too...it deserves to be published :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work!!!
    Have a good week!! my g+ for you!!!:)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was drawn in by the elegant tonal palette of your necklace, Cynthia. The patterns and textures of this piece are so perfectly in balance. Beautifully done! Clicked over to the Bead Trends tribute, and ended up reading the entire magazine. What a treat!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of your best pieces to date! The color, style, ancient quality, FRinge. Love this piece! You guys put out a really wonderful magazine this month~it was fun reading though it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment on my blog... yeah tomatoes what a tragedy!

    What a heartfelt letter and how wonderful that beading and jewelry helped her cope with the loss of her father.

    Your necklace is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous issue! And this necklace is one of my favorites in the magazine. I saw this and my jaw dropped. It's just stunning and I bet it feels just amazing to wear. Thanks for all your help with things this month for the feature Bead Chat did - I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a shame the magazine is closing - its great this beautiful piece will have its day in the spotlight. Look forward to seeing the next edition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a shame the magazine is closing - its great this beautiful piece will have its day in the spotlight. Look forward to seeing the next edition!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read the mag yesterday and was floored when I got to your necklace - what a statement piece! Love how you finished the ends. Anything with fringe is beautiful in my book! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, just gorgeous! So perfectly balanced and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your necklace is gorgeous and definitely deserved publication! I don't know much about beading but I'm looking forward to checking out your mag.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your creating is fabulous, Cynthia! I love the choker style and the dangly bits. It absolutely deserves to be published! I'm so glad it's showcased in the BTT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Stunning! Certainly worthy of being published!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This piece is amazing Cynthia! I definitely feel that 1920s vibe. That is sad to hear of a publication ending. The tribute edition will be cherished by many!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another stunning necklace! I am sorry about the publication ending! Very sad!

    ReplyDelete

AntiquityTravelers on Etsy