Saturday, October 11, 2014

Bucket List :: Drink from a Coconut

One of the things that my oldest daughter Kate had on her bucket list of things she wanted to do was to drink from a coconut. I think after all those episodes of Survivor, it just seemed like a cool thing to do.

When we were in Mexico last winter; she got her chance. Her sister was right there with her and game to give it a try as well. At our hotel we saw a few people walking around with their very own coconut, and we thought 'oh, I guess you just order one from the bar.' But surprisingly no one seemed to know what we were talking about when we tried that?


But then one of the staff suggested we find a gardener who could whack one down from one of the trees on the property. And so now I had both my girls hunting around the grounds looking for a guy with a machete. Not exactly what a mom wants to hear. But we did find a very nice gardener who was more than willing to help the girls out. They had a bit of trouble trying to drink from the hacked opening, but a straw was a quick solve so they could enjoy their drink with lunch.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, how fun! I drank from a coconut years ago. It's quite refreshing on a hot day. Love the pic of your daughters having their first sip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect idea for a tropical getaway!
    You had me laughing at your girls looking for a guy with a machete! And in Mexico no less...yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun for your cute girls.They will remember this trip forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! What a great travel memory! I haven't drank from a coconut since I was a little girl but remember it being fun! What a sweet gardener for making this happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great experience for your girls Cynthia, I am sure they will remember drinking from a coconut for the rest of their lives.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must have a good kid if drinking from a coconut is on her bucket list :-) They must have loved running around looking for Machete Man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! i don't believe I have even tried coconut milk...but I love it shredded! You pick awesome places to have vacations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did they eat the flesh as well? is quite delicious with some lemon and chili powder yummy! Nice pictures! You made me laugh with that machete situation...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like fun.

    I had a good laugh with the machete comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coconut water seems to be everywhere now. Bravo for your daughter embracing a bucket list AND keeping at least one of the tasks simple! I need to put a few straight forward simple things on mine now :-)

    ReplyDelete

AntiquityTravelers on Etsy