Friday, August 19, 2016

Camping :: Adirondack Style

When I think of camping, I think of the Adirondacks. We go up every year to our little house on the lake. It is not what they call 'winterized' which means that there is no insulation. 

Anyone been in Northern NY State in the dead of winter? Believe me when I say you need insulation. So each year we 'open camp' in the spring once the snow has melted and we 'close camp' in the Fall once the leaves turn.

What makes the place special is that it is quiet. Just you, the birds and the water. Well and in our case a few dozen families with cousins, extended cousins, long-time friends through the generations. It is the kind of place where families hand down the camp to the next generation, which is what happened with our camp. 

Originally my husband's grandfather (Alfred) and his brothers discovered this remote location. They bought the camp we own, and built several more along the lake. Our camp is full of the memories that Alfred brought back from his decades of living in India. Nothing of great value, just the memories and stories of another place and time. But I have told you all this in a previous post, or on Instagram where I have lots of pictures from the lake.

This post is actually in response to a challenge Erin has going over on Earrings Everyday asking for our designs inspired by camping and the deep colors you see in the campfire. She wanted to know what images or memories it brings. For me it will always be this place. There are many gatherings around the dock campfires (it is safer to have an open pit fire near the water), or on cold days we will sit in front of the fireplace (in the camp) to roast marshmallows with the girls with the same long camp forks my husband used as a child. 



My design uses sea urchins in an orange-brown color and gold-orange beads with an Indian flare. And of course one of my two favorite models is showing us how they look. Thanks Kate. I will miss you more than words when we take you off to college in September. You can see everyone else's designs at the reveal over on Earrings Everyday.

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful work! I loved reading about your camping traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beauties! I love the long dramatic stone shape. Your camp sounds so wonderful and I am sure it will continue to be passed down through generations. If I had kids I would be looking for a camp house. We loved going to a lake in NH every summer as a family. My parents always rented the same place each year and it was fantastic! Memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are just luscious earrings, some of my favorites and I sure enjoyed hearing about your camp, way up there.

    I can tell how much you're going to miss that wonderful model!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved hearing about your special family camp...how luckily you are to have this as a gathering place for family and friends for so many years. Your earrings are wonderful tribute to these memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lucky you are to have a summer getaway to someplace remote!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely earrings!!!
    Have a good week!!! and my g+ for you!!!:)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all sounds so lovely! The best place to wind down and relax...:)
    The earrings are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these earrings. And what a great way to Gather with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds a great place to be! I love your earrings, the muted organic orange with the gold is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cabin is the perfect way to get back in touch with nature, family and the tranquility so lacking in our fast paced world. Kate sure has grown up. The days are getting shorter, even here in Calif I can tell a change of seasons is coming. Beautiful use of the sea urchin spine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely earrings! It's so wonderful you have the camp and all those family memories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry I'm a little late to the reveal date...what a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing. Your earrings are simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic looking place! It's neat that it's a family tradition and that you have heirlooms from family members. We're headed back to WV around Thanksgiving and planning on staying at our family place there. It isn't insulated, either...we're bringing lots of space heaters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That place looks amazing and your earrings are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That camp sounds amazing, the lake and the birds and the whole gang! The earrings are amazing as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to visit this special place you go to! Sounds wonderful!!!
    I love the earrings! Gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the length on these earrings. And how lucky you are to have such a great campsite.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have a good week, doll!!!!
    Besos, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love family legacies like your camp. Even the lack of insulation is a bonding experience! And the earrings and model are gorgeous. You are going to have to save all your creations for a home visit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can't have a cottage without a few rockers ~ what a cozy place, full of special memories, simple and slower days, and love.
    And your earrings bring in all that warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the style and color of these, Cynthia! So very elegant!

    ReplyDelete

AntiquityTravelers on Etsy