Sunday, June 18, 2017

Life In Between

My oldest daughter started college last year in Boston. She was so excited to be out on her own exploring an amazing city like Boston. You could hear it in her voice as we skyped each weekend. For me, it was wonderful to catch up and see how she was doing as it was so hard not having her around. I would stop and just look into her empty room. I missed my girl.

She is home now for summer. In between semesters, and in between the phases of her life. She has her college stuff stored away for the summer in boxes, and she really hasn't unpacked much. She knows she's home for only a few months then back to school come August.

I remember vividly this period in my life when change just seems to endlessly come at you. Shifting from the over stimulation of school, classes and friends, to the quiet of being home for the summer. I would work two jobs to earn money for school. My day job was working in a store, and I waitressed nights. It was a time to give my mind a breather from academics as I really couldn't think of much beyond working or sleeping. 

I found Kate reading a book on Transitions the other week, which struck me as much more mature than I was at this age. She will be switching schools in the Fall to the University of Connecticut which will be a big change. A much larger school with a lot more going on around campus. 

For now, I am just enjoying the breather between semesters with her. It has been wonderful having her home, chatting and just seeing how much she has grown this past year. I can sit and bead as we chat. This one she is wearing is a simple herringbone rope, which I think she wears quite beautifully.

13 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for the fact that our society now encourages people to talk about things like how to approach transitions. When I was a young adult I don't remember these kinds of life learning opportunities discussed much (if at all). Somehow I was just expected to muddle through. Maybe there were books, like what Kate is reading right now, but I didn't know they existed. The fact she is taking such an active role in understanding life and it's complexities is simply marvelous. I think it indicates that you and your husband have done a really good parenting job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, plenty of transitions and changes at that age. But looks like your daughter is taking it in her stride! The necklace you made for her is simple and pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad she is enjoying this period on her life. So much personal growth happens during the college years. That is exciting to transition to a larger school too. I am sure she will have a blast there too with more diversity. Beautiful bead work. A perfect jeans piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. College was so much fun. I went in Boston my last 2 years, at Emerson and it was so awesome to be in the city!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! One year of college done? Where did the time fly away? I remember the little girl who visited me.

    Loved reading this post. Am picturing warm, sunny afternoons that both of you will cherish forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Kate will find and read a book like this on her own - between semesters and between schools - speaks volumes about her personality, her ability to adapt, and her dedication to herself. All the college years of living in-between and never settling down for too long is difficult at best. Enjoy the summer together.
    And your necklace is soothing, uncomplicated, and lovely. In other words, perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful beaded piece, I love the color and how it fits on her pretty neck ... I know you must really be enjoying each others company tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heavens, I KNOW I wasn't that mature when I was her age. I'm not sure I'm that mature now! Sounds like she's got a good head on her shoulders and you did/are doing a great job raising her! The necklace is pretty too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy this special time together! Love the necklace! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you're getting to spend quality time together - you must miss her while she's away but the homecomings must be even greater because of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. After freshman year was my last summer "home." My mom kept my room mostly intact for several more years, though, and didn't fully take it over for her own purposes until I moved to Hawaii. Now when I go to her house I have to stay in the guest room! Anyway, I hope you enjoy your summer home with your daughter and that her transition to the new school goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She does wear it beautifully. It must be nice for you to share this together between all of the changes.

    ReplyDelete

AntiquityTravelers on Etsy