Sunday, December 10, 2017

The Chop

Something that I've been putting off for a long time now is cleaning out my beading. I have beads everywhere and when I go looking for something I swear I know I have but can't find ... I give up and go buy more. A hardship, I know.

But enough is enough; it is time to clean. Cleaning has involved several types of activities, everything from sorting through UFOs (unfinished objects), to jewelry that has been sitting around waiting to sell for years (and I mean years) to beads I can't be bothered with because they are all mixed up. Literally they are tins of bead mixes. When I first started beading I was experimenting with color and I just kept mixing the beads to see what colors and bead sizes would go together.

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 20+ of these mixed tins, which at this point they just sit there on the shelf. And that is because when I go looking for colors to bead with I absolutely never even consider sifting through these mixes anymore. So in an effort to clean out my beads and rediscover what I actually have in the stash these mixes have hit the bead table. I have been sorting beads for weeks now, and I am only roughly half way through these tins. Each one of the tins take anywhere from 3-5 hours to sort. (sigh)  

Today I decided to take a break from bead sorting and sift through all the unsold jewelry. I was rattling around in all the cupboards going through boxes of jewelry. At one point the hubby cautiously poked his head in asking what the !#@) the noise was about. Without turning around I casually say, "its stuff heading for the chop." I didn't even have to turn around to see that confused look on his face. 

I've been trying to decide what might sell over at one of my shops, and then taking the time to either relist the item, or list it for the first time. Seriously. I have pieces that have been hanging around waiting to list for a long, long time. These are pieces I made years ago, but either just don't like them or they never sold. So there is nothing left to do but chop them up and reuse the beads. 

12 comments:

  1. I know the feeling Cynthia, except I've got tons of fabric remnants! I have sorted and color coordinated these, so it will be easier for future craft projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep my beads separate! Just the thought of all those mixed tins makes my tummy ache. :) I do have UFOs too and I need to work on finishing/listing/chopping them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I go through those purge phases all the time. Here's hoping you can see yourself through it. Chopping up pieces can be tough sometimes, I'm constantly having to remind myself that maybe I can make something even better. Wishing you all the best with all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your efforts. Think about what a fresh start you will have once things are sorted. Your beading space will once again be a place of delight. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl!! I don't think I could do what you are doing! You must have patience! But, it's a good cleansing too! I remember roughly 2 years ago, I went through the room where I paint. I gave away 4 large plastic bins away, filled with older craft paint. Just things that were hanging around. I felt better after it was all done and you will too! Big Hugs and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember clearly our very first bead weekend together ~ those mixed tins made quite the impression on me! I know how big of a task that is to sort them...the fact that you are giving it a go and not just giving them up is admirable! While time consuming, it must be slightly pleasurable mindlessly sifting through them, hopefully wine in hand. The chop is always a hard call, and a bit painful too. I recognize a few items in that stash. All the sorting and chopping will result in some beautiful, funky new jewelry!!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time I go to organize my craft room and supplies I find so much cool stuff that I end up making a worse mess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that no matter if it's beads, fabric or tiny bits of leather, sorting and organizing will always pay off ... I tend to find it very meditative or mindless, depending on my mood!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I desperately need to do another sort and purge as well. Right now I’m in the ‘touch everything’ stage, where I’m simply trying to refamiliarize myself with what I have. And how little of it I actually use.

    As for the chop, I’m very, very bad at that. Instead, I tend to pass those pieces on to my nieces for dress up. :0)

    Good luck with your Chop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a great task to close out the year. Kind of like going through your closet and doing a purge, which is something else I need to do. Hope you had a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A never ending project! Although I am super organized, the bead stash of my life never is. It is sad taking apart pieces that never sold but it is gratifying when you make something new with those beads and it ends up selling!

    ReplyDelete

AntiquityTravelers on Etsy