Sunday, June 17, 2018

Herringbone

So what do you do with all those left over corks? I'd like to say that we did not drink all those bottles. But in fact we did. In fairness it was over time, but do I have to tell you over how much time? Let's not.

I have to say I never really liked wine before my late 20s, but that is likely because my exposure to it was Pinot Grigio. It has a sharp, grassy flavor and frankly just doesn't do it for me. If I'm being totally honest I recall jello shots being fairly high on my list. Clearly I did not have a very sophisticated palate at that point.

When I met my husband I was living in San Francisco. We both had roommates and we got used to getting out of the house on the weekend to find alone time together. We would drive down the California Coast for the day, perhaps a little exploring through one of the San Francisco neighborhoods, or head up to wine country. I like to joke that we dated our way through wine country, but I'm really only half joking. 

I still don't like Pinot Grigio; however, a nice crisp New Zealand Chenin Blanc is lovely on a hot summer's day. But I must confess that my favorite is a deep, buttery Chardonnay from Carneros. The day we got married we eloped to wine country. We drove up to our favorite winery, Clos du Bois, for a quick tasting then over to a B&B to meet the justice of the peace. Priorities.

13 comments:

  1. I have tried so hard to like wine and I'm a bad Italian cause I don't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really neat looking! Pinot Grigio is basically the only white wine I think is okayish! I tend to like tangy, tanin-y reds, but haven't had anything to drink in ages between being pregnant and nursing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those framed corks look so cool! I have always enjoyed wine. There is a winery located in the southern Rhine region which produces excellent wine:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA ~ I have Pinot Grigio in the fridge right now. As you know, I am not a big white wine drinker, but I do occasionally love a glass of Gewurztraminer. These corks, your love story...those are the simple pleasures of a happy and loving life. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to see you got your priorities right, although an overindulgence in the vino could lead to disappointment later that evening.
    Living here in NZ we do get a bit spoiled for choice of wine, but I must admit, I still prefer a big fruity,chewy, Aussie red.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a wine drinker at all. I did like one wine from a friend's winery here in the Willamette Valley. It was a rose pinot noir and it was yummy but of course once it's gone it's gone since the grapes taste different each year. Now I don't like any wine again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your "wine" story!! I have to say, that cork creation is amazing! I really love it!! Alot of time! Great detail!!! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant! and I love knowing that you eloped to wine country.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The herringbone is impressive! You make wine sound so yummy. I have to admit that Pinot Grigio is my favorite when I actually choose to drink wine. In general, wine gives me a headache so I only drink it if that's the only thing available. Most of the time time, I dig my craft beer instead. To each her own! Thanks for sharing some of your story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our corks add up fast too! Like yours, they tend to be the same. It is funny how our palates change over time. I was all about white zinfandel in my 20s (jello shots too) but in my 30s was turned onto reds, starting with sweet but now I am into dry. Someday I could revolve back to white. It sounds like you and your husband have had a lot of fun exploring wine! It is one of those simple pleasures in life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is a great DIY idea! We have a little collection of corks in the kitchen and weren’t sure of what to do with them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

AntiquityTravelers on Etsy