Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Insta Blog :: New Mexico

I'm trying to figure out the balance between my love of blogging and my new favorite form of connecting online; Instagram. I do love being able to just post a picture, and walk away. But it has become more than that as the pictures become sort of an art form for me. But what I miss is the story telling that comes with a blog post. So I'm going to try out something a little different. I'm going to try picking a few of my Instagram posts for a bit more story telling. 

I was able to get a bit of beading done over the holiday (you saw my latest RBG necklace), which I finish one or two and have several in progress. It does give me a bit of anxiety having 'in progress' pieces knowing how quickly I will get pulled under once I'm back in the office. 

Anyway, for this 'in progress' piece, I pulled out a double cab set of azurite I picked up in Old Town Albuquerque from one of the many places specializing in Native American jewelry. They had a huge case of loose stones way in the back of the store. Like any self-respecting beader ... I headed straight to the back to dig. That pile of stones had me wanting to walk out with several bags, but I did show some restraint as I 'only' bought about 10 cabs. I brought in my reinforcement and had my daughter help me narrow things down.

Azurite has the look of turquoise, but for a much more affordable cost. It has intense, deep blue-green coloring and plenty of veining. So if you're in to that ... then azurite might be your stone. I prefer the veining, or inclusions, as it makes for much more interesting patterns in the stone. One thing I didn't know about azurite is that is slowly weathers to malachite (one of my all-time favorite stones). Apparently the elements, and particularly light, 'greens' the deep blue. Huh, that's cool. They say you should store azurite jewelry in darkness (a box, a drawer) away from heat. Perhaps that is why the case of azurite was in the back of the store? 

This one is still on the bead table as I decide exactly how I want to connect the stones and finish off the back strap. But it is at least some progress in a fairly long drought of beading.

10 comments:

  1. Combining your loves is a great idea :)
    Beautiful azurite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not been checking Instagram lately. I need to get back on so I can see what you've been up to. I miss your stories, and your gorgeous creations! Azurite is a heck of a nice stone. I had no idea it weathered to malachite. How interesting. I can't wait to see how you connect the cabs and finish them off. With such a great start you can't really go wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! I'm glad you'll keep blogging. I don't have instagram. And I looooove azurite. One of my fave stones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is some gorgeous progress!! Thanks for sharing those pics and the info about that beautiful stone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful stones! I've never heard of azurite before but the info you provided is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so interesting that it can change into another stone entirely! I love this idea of taking your IG posts and expanding on them. I'm looking forward to seeing what more you have to teach us! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous stones. I did not know that azurite weathers into malachite either. Interesting. Malachite tends to be a bit pricey so maybe a trick is to buy some azurite and let it evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know that azurite slowly weathers to malachite. I love New Mexico. I hope I get a return trip there some day. I bought some turquoise out there that I have yet to use. I finally decided what I have been saving it for and I am going to make a necklace for myself. I am glad you are back blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know about Azurite, but I didn't know that it weathers to malachite! That is so cool! Your beading is so gorgeous! I hope one day, to get my Instagram going! LOL! Big Hugs and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. well, they didn't teach us THAT at GIA ~ that azurite weathers into malachite ~ very cool! I want to get a piece now and leave it on the window sill or on the work desk in my workshop. This piece is beautiful and sleek and simple. I Love It! And I love veining too ~ adds character :-)

    ReplyDelete

AntiquityTravelers on Etsy