Friday, May 17, 2013

Focusing on Life :: Looking Up

I think we all get tunnel vision from time to time; I know that I do. For me it is about my commute; it eats up 3 hours of my day every Monday through Friday. A coping mechanism is to find ways to use that time productively; reading, working, and the occasional 'power nap' (aka exhaustion). 

What happens when we pull in to Grand Central Station is that most people 'hit the ground running.' There is a mass shoving to get to your destination for the day. For the most part I keep my eyes on the road (so to speak) and stay focused to navigating the streets of New York. I do, in fact, forget to look up. I forget that I work in a very iconic place. This week I took Sally's Focusing on Life prompt and played tourist for a few moments.

I've been in the Chrysler Building many times, but always for a meeting. It is a real office building, and it's conference rooms look the same as any others. Typically I am rushing to the meeting, so I hurry through the lobby. But this week I decided to walk over during lunch and pull out my iphone and snap a few pics like any other tourist, which by the way there were many.

I thought I'd take you on a quick tour of the Chrysler Building lobby. A gorgeous example of Art Deco Architecture. The first picture is standing just in the entrance and looking back out to Lexington Avenue, but looking up through the backlit glass above the revolving doors. 


Once inside, looking up you see ceiling murals. I love the one of the Chrysler Building itself. 

When I have come here for a meeting, I needed to check in with security. This is mandatory in every building in New York City after 9/11. At the concierge desk, if you look up you see a clock that flips the numbers for the hours and minutes of time (click on the photo to see this one better). The main elevator again reflects the Chrysler Building itself with the base of the spire on the doors. Looking up you see the geometric patterns of the light sconces both beside the doors and above the doors.
Walking around the corner you find the stairways. I tried to get a good shot of the lights, but my iphone just wasn't cooperating. However, I do like the reflection of the lights in the marble walls. For a better picture you can check out this link. The stairway feels straight out of the movies. I expected Greta Garbo to cascade down the stairs at any minute in some flowing gown.

One last little picture I snapped on my way out was this great old post box. You'll find these all over Manhattan in the old buildings, and this one was such a great example. I slipped my phone back in my pocket, darted across Lexington Avenue to my favorite deli to grab a little pasta salad before heading back to my office. It was a nice little break for lunch. Thanks for a great prompt this week Sally!

39 comments:

  1. Very cool- love the clock! A 3-hour commute is not my idea of fun, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 3 hour commute helps me not be too envious but still, it's so incredible that you work in NYC surrounded by so many great sights! Thanks for the tour of the Chrysler Building!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tour of the Chrysler Building was so much fun. I don't miss the commutes, but I do miss the great architecture of NYC. Love the mural and the mail box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I haven't been to Grand Central Station in years! I usually go to the City through Penn. I have to take a day to just be a tourist soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow - I love these shots! I love these because they remind me of the Queen Mary Hotel in Long Beach - so Art Deco! Awesome photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful pics, such a fab tour thanks for taking us, love the stairs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the great art deco design a lot. I've never been to NYC, but maybe someday...just to see it once.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One day I'd like to come visit and play tourist with you :)
    The murals are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you so much for this! the chrylser building has always been my favourite US skyscraper, so it's wonderful to see glimpses of the inside :)
    wonderful photos, as always!!
    have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like such a great place. When we are in an area regularly, we don't really pay attention to our surroundings the way a tourist would. My camera forces me to do that. Whenever I'm out and about snapping photos, I pay more attention to my surroundings, and I'm often surprised by something I never noticed before!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cynthia, thanx for showing us some of the beauty of New York. Your photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great! Love old buildings, your pics are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is an amazing building -- thank you for sharing! But goodness, a 3-hour commute every day? I can imagine that's more than a bit tiring! One has to "hit the ground running" on the trains here too -- the "mass shoving" definitely does not show the nicer side of most people! More and more I've been saying a quick prayer first before heading out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely gorgeous - and, as usual, full of interesting information about a place I've seen only in pictures. Never been to NYC yet, but if I ever manage to, I'll walk to the Chrysler Building and tell myself: Cynthia has been here :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I was in the Chrysler Building in the spring just before 9/11. I sooo remember the art deco and stuff, somewhere I have my pictures of that building. I also got to go to the top of the World Trade Center to the restaurant...I was a little scared to get to close to the windows...that was a long way down! thanks for the trip down memory lane. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the tour you provided us! Your photos are amazing - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for sharing your photo journey, fantastic pics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fun to take a little down time and play tourist :) Love the clock with the flipping numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They just don't have gorgeous designs built these days, the Chrysler Building is a treasure. Glad you took the time to take these photos!

    I hear you on the long commute, mine used to be almost that long each way, by driving. Never again, that's a waste of hours. On a train, at least you can close your eyes, not behind a steering wheel though. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So interesting, Cynthia, that you've been there for meetings, probably noticed much of the beauty, but I bet so much more when focused on it. The mailbox looks like something from the Third Reich to me. Can you imagine a bride coming down those stairs? Wow... just one of the beautiful sights in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely stunning Cynthia!

    The prompt reminded me of the zen koan:

    "Letting go of the ladder,
    one may fall up.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous pictures Cynthia. Thanks for taking the time to be a tourist and show us what we are missing. I haven't been to NYC and would love to go.

    ReplyDelete
  23. How suitable for Looking Up! This building must be so stunning. I love those roof ornaments you showed prior. The old post office box is so cool. Now the eagle symbol is too contemporary and sort of boring! Luckily you can be productive on your super long commute. Imagine the days before the wireless and how there was nothing but reading and sleeping to do on the train!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the tour! The building seems awesome elegant and yes straight from a movie. What a great view. Sometimes is good to slow down and enjoy the view!

    ps yes! lol at the nail polish! I feel comforted I am not the only momma who is going through this...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful photos! I love the Art Deco era of design. Thanks for the tour, and I'm so glad you took the time to slow down and see things you normally pass by on your daily commute.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sad to say I have never been in this beautiful building! Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  27. One day when I get to the US I will visit the Chrysler Building, I have always been fascinated by its architectural design and love your insight to the inner sanctum!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I could not handle a 3 hour commute although maybe on a train (?) it would be OK... when I had a real job and had to drive I bought a house within walking distance of the office (doubt if that's an affordable option in NYC!) I seem to remeber that the Chrysler building was one that we couldn't get through the door in.. love the outside and thanks for your quick glimpse of the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You did great on this week's prompt thank you for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fantastic shots of a neat building

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful inspiration!!!!
    Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  32. While I don't envy you that commute, to be able to explore Grand Central is an amazing treat. I love your shots.

    ReplyDelete
  33. wonderful details! i love the self portraits inside the building :-) made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh, that was great! The next time I'm in NYC I will definitely have to take my camera and have a little browse; I'm an architecture fanatic. LOVE Art Deco.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Cynthia, you captured such wonderful images, I love the lighting in the first one and the mural of the Chrysler building and plane remind me of an old postage stamp. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I remember those days of getting off the train and hitting the ground running. You make such a good point about all the amazing buildings in NYC, when I lived there I rarely looked up, it was always about getting from one place to another quickly. Your photos are amazing! I have not been in the Chrysler building in years the details are amazing. Thanks for sharing, it was nice to go down memory lane for a few minutes.
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete

AntiquityTravelers on Etsy